Sakhawat visits family after patient dies from gauze left inside

Photo: Agamir Somoy
Health Minister Sardar Md Sakhawat Husain has stood by the family of the deceased Konika Rani in Baliakandi, Rajbari, following the report in Agamir Somoy.
He said the government will take action against those involved if the investigation proves the allegations of medical negligence. He visited Konika’s home on Friday and provided financial assistance of Tk 50,000 to Konika’s family.
On 29 June, Konika Mondal, 35, gave birth to a baby girl through a Caesarean section performed by Lakshmi Rani Dutta at Samorita Hospital in Faridpur. Her abdomen began to swell the day after the surgery. As her condition deteriorated, her family admitted her to Ibn Sina Hospital in Dhaka on 3 July.
Medical tests conducted on 7 July revealed gauze inside her abdomen, which surgeons removed through another operation on the same day. Following a long period of treatment, she died around 2:15 am on 19 August at the hospital in Dhaka.
In response to questions from journalists, the health minister said, “Medical negligence will not be tolerated under any circumstances.” He added that if the investigation proves anyone’s involvement in medical negligence, the ministry will take strict action according to the rules.
Sakhawat informed that on Thursday, under the direction of the Ministry of Health, a five-member investigation committee was formed to look into the incident, and they have been ordered to submit their report within five working days. The government will take the necessary measures after receiving the report.
He remarked that the death of a mother due to negligence is unacceptable, explaining that he visited them and the government will stand by this family.
Sakhawat also mentioned that the government is working to revive the healthcare sector from the damage it sustained over the past 17 years. Various initiatives are underway to deliver quality healthcare services to the people’s doorsteps, alongside efforts to modernize the healthcare centers across the country.
Previously, on Thursday, Agamir Somoy’s online edition published the news report concerning Konika’s death. After the report came to his attention, Sakhawat had inquired about the situation and told Agamir Somoy that he would take necessary actions, leading to his visit to Konika’s house the very next day to speak with the family members.
The report from the newly formed investigation committee will identify those responsible for the medical negligence and determine the disciplinary measures to be taken against them.
Accompanying the health minister during his visit were Rajbari Deputy Commissioner Afroza Parveen, Civil Surgeon SM Masud, Additional Superintendent of Police Samsul Haque, Additional Deputy Commissioner (General) Tarif Ul Hasan, Upazila Executive Officer Chowdhury Mustafizur Rahman, Upazila Health and Family Planning Officer Md Faruque Hossain, Baliakandi Police Station Officer-in-Charge Abdur Rob Talukdar, and local BNP leaders and activists.




