Over 50 mobile phones pickpocketed at Ityadi shooting in Narsingdi

Photo: Agamir Somoy
Nearly half a hundred mobile phones were allegedly stolen during the recording of the popular television magazine Ityadi in Narsingdi. The incident reportedly took place on Wednesday evening when the programme began around 7:00 pm, as organized pickpocket groups took advantage of severe disorder and pushing at the entrance.
Victims said entry to the venue required passes, but due to poor management by the organizers, spectators of all ages—including women and children who had valid passes—were forced to push and shove their way inside. Amid the chaos, many people lost their mobile phones, and several were injured. Despite the presence of a large number of police personnel assigned to security, they failed to control the situation.
According to sources, seating had been arranged for 3,000 guests, but several thousand additional people entered the venue. Many reportedly climbed over walls, ignoring police barricades. Taking advantage of the commotion at the entrance gates, an organized group allegedly stole around 50 mobile phones. Later, hundreds of pass-holding guests left the venue in protest against the mismanagement.
Journalist Asaduzzaman Ripon, who was present at the venue, said that chaos broke out at the main gate due to administrative failures during entry. After entering the venue along with other journalists, he realized his mobile phone was missing. The theft was immediately reported to police stationed at the gate. Within about an hour, at least 40 to 45 people, including six journalists, informed police that their phones had been stolen. However, he alleged that police remained passive and took no action despite the ongoing disorder at the entrance.
When contacted, Narsingdi Superintendent of Police Abdullah Al-Faruk said thousands of people from within and outside the district had come to enjoy the Ityadi programme, and among them there may also have been thieves. He acknowledged that several spectators had lost their mobile phones and said efforts would be made to recover them if complaints were filed at the police station.




