Five Injured, Including 2 Jubo Dal Leaders, in Shooting at Cox’s Bazar Court Premises

Photo: Agamir Somoy
A shooting incident in broad daylight at the Cox’s Bazar District and Sessions Judge Court left at least five people injured, including two leaders of the Jubo Dal. Police said two of the injured sustained gunshot wounds, and the incident sparked panic across the court area.
The shooting occurred around 11:00 a.m. on Sunday at Court No. 2 of the Cox’s Bazar District and Sessions Judge Court.
The injured were identified as Jubo Dal leaders Mahiyuddin and Roni, along with three others whose identities were not immediately known.
According to police, citing eyewitness accounts, Liaqat Ali Member, general secretary of the Jhilongja Union unit of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, arrived at the court with associates to appear in a case. After the hearing, as they were leaving the court premises, rival group members opened fire targeting him. This led to a chase, counter-chase, and clashes between the two groups. Several rounds of gunfire were heard, triggering widespread fear among litigants and members of the general public.
Police quickly cordoned off the court compound and brought the situation under control. The injured were rescued and admitted to Cox’s Bazar Sadar Hospital.
Confirming the incident, Additional Superintendent of Police Ahidur Rahman said three suspects have been detained so far. A locally made firearm was recovered from the scene, and investigations are underway to determine the motive and identify all those involved.




